Friday, October 9, 2009

Sink or Swim by Quinn

Sink or Swim
 
             Sitting on the raft's edge
    gripping my oar like a child clings to its blanket
            preparing for the inevitable
                practicing the techniques
                    I will need in the future
 
      All I can think about are the fears
            the fear of falling out
                    the fear of taking the lead
    the fear of every possible situation, even death
            maybe mine or someone else    
 
        Don't want to back out now
            deep, deep down inside
                 I want to do this
    I know if I don't, I'll regret it
 
                My mom is with me
        giving me support and courage
                    we work as a team
            keeping time, smiling occasionally
                    taking in the scenery
             and a couple gulps of water
 
            The rapids get rougher
                the going gets tougher
        testing our skill and ability
                    things get crunchy
            we hit a wall of water
                 a buddy has no choice but
        to meet the experience on the next level
    he's over his head but stays calm in the moment
              our guide reaches out drawing him to safety
 
            Suddenly, all is still
                at the foot of Mount Robson
                    in the frigid Fraser River
        with the summer sun beating down
 
                Now I float on my back
                            buoyed by my lifejacket
        not by accident but by choice
                        letting the water take me
            squinting as I stare at the clear blue sky
                    I exhale and give a giggle
        all the struggles are behind me
                        only calm waters ahead

No comments: