Into the Woods
I will never forget that October.
The crisp air sent chills up my spine
as we entered the shadow of the timbers.
Everything became unpredicable from
the moment the quad silenced.
Dad and I made our way to the ground blind
and there was no turning back.
The gun was loaded yet my body was trembling.
Disturbing the feast of a sow and her cubs
was not something i wanted to encounter.
I didn't dare to blink until we
reached our destination.
15 yards down the embankment there stood
the bait barrel that showed clear
evidence of wild intruders.
Patiently we sat awaiting the arrival of a
predator.
The sounds of Mother Nature began to play games
with our minds.
Without warning the dark figure made his entrance.
Unobtrusively he approached the clearing in which
I had full veiw of his unique blonde coat.
We watched his toss the 500 pound barrel like
it was a weightless beach ball.
His claws were like human hands, only they
were grasping huge slabs of raw meat.
It was time to raise my barrel and I put
my crosshairs dead on.
Out came the fire from the end of my
30 06 bolt action rifle and like a sack
of potatoes he dropped.
Excitement brought tears to my eyes and the
everlasting silence broke with cheering and hollering.
Dad was so proud and it meant the world to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment