Friday, October 9, 2009

Drop of Doom

                               Drop of Doom
I'm thinking to myself
each step could be my last.
The higher I go,
the more work it is to breath.
My lungs, bursting, painful, agonizing.
I finally reach the top.
 
I take one last deep breath
before I walk any closer.
"Next!" Shouted the attendant.
Walking up to her with sweaty palms
and jittery knees, I near the edge.
I nervously peak my head over
the railing, squinting just to see
the ant-shaped people looking
back at me with anticipation.
 
Slowly, I lower myself
into a sitting position.
I feel the cool water splash my legs
which makes my heart pound so
loud I swear everyone can hear.
I lean back and scoot forward a little
only to see the discolored roof above me.
One last push and I close my eyes.
 
I am a bullet,
heading straight towards the depths
that lie beneath me.
Like a strike of lightening
I hit the clear blue water.
Quickly I surface with two kicks
of my trembling legs.
 
I swim stunned towards
the exit of the pool.
I hop out of the water,
smiling as though nothing
had ever happened.
 

No comments: