Sunday, September 14, 2008

Word of the Day - Quiz

Your quiz will be on Thursday. I am not here so it will give you and the sub something meaningful to do.

Your words for this week are:

Muse (v) [ intrans. ]be absorbed in thought : he was musing on the problems he faced.
• [with direct speech ] say to oneself in a thoughtful manner : “I think I've seen him somewhere before,” mused Rachel.• ( muse on) gaze thoughtfully at.

Perspective (n) a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view: most guidebook history is written from the editor's perspective.


Tact (n) a keen sense of the right or fitting thing to say or due so as to avoid hurting someone’s feelings; sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues : the inspector broke the news to me with tact and consideration.

Allegiances (n) loyalty or commitment of a subordinate to a superior or of an individual to a group or cause : those wishing to receive citizenship must swear allegiance to the republic | a complex pattern of cross-party allegiances.

Diminish (v) make or become less • [ trans. ] make (someone or something) seem less impressive or valuable : the trial has aged and diminished him.

Actually, muse and perspective were from last week, but I hadn't posted them on this blog yet.

No comments: